Ah, Renegade. You’ve considered Adventures from Elle yet again for a blog award. I really appreciate this. 😊 Many thanks. Head over to Renegade Expressions for an interesting perspective on life and above-average knowledge of birds (leading me to wonder if ornithology is a side-profession of his).
The Rules of This Award
1. Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs.
5. Notify those blogs of the nomination.
6. Give them 11 questions to answer.
11 Questions For Me
- What countries have you visited or would like to visit? I’ve only left Jamaica twice- once on a prep school Disney World trip to Florida, USA (too young to have clear memories of it) and the other to Curaçao, a tiny Dutch-speaking Caribbean island. High on the “would like to visit” list are Canada, Guyana, Cuba, Haiti, Iceland, Costa Rica and Ecuador (an odd mix of tropical, temperate and polar climes).
- Do you play any sports? Nope. Tried several. Realize I’m too clumsy and steered clear of sports after grade 10 altogether, except for watching (and LOVING) track and field like a stereotypical Jamaican.
- Who is your favorite actor? Taraji P. Henson
- Are you an Apple, Android or Windows Smartphone user? Android
- Do you see the glass as half-empty or half full? Usually as half-full, unless I’m depressed where I’ll sometimes think half-empty for a while.
- Are you a Cat or Dog person? DOGS. 🐶
- Do you know who Goofus and Gallant are? Lol.. no. I’ll probably be judged for this.
- Who let the dogs out? (Who cares?) Ruff, ruff, ruff, ruff 🎵
- Can you do the Macarena? Sure can. One move my left feet can do.
- Heathcliff or Garfield? Garfield definitely.
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure? It isn’t guilty if you own it right? Everything cheesecake despite my metabolism screaming no. Close second: Chocolate.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I’m a proud product of a single-parent family. Thanks, Mommy.
- I’m not from a travelling family so I’m not sure where my wanderlust gene comes from. Autosomal recessive perhaps?
- My favourite fruit: a juicy ripe East Indian mango. (No mangoes aren’t all the same species. That statement angers a Jamaican as much as a person who peels mangoes to eat. Don’t take it personally. 😂)
- I talk a whole lot and ramble, but only among people with whom I’m comfortable.
- I did advanced level Spanish in high school (Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Exam- CAPE) and have a national award for it. I still listen to a few Spanish songs and read an occasional Spanish article, but I’m terribly shocked at how much my knowledge has deteriorated in just 3 years of disuse. I’m not sure I could translate a magical realism text anymore e.g. from Gabriel Garcia Marquez, requiescat in pace.
- My favourite subjects in high school in order were Biology, Spanish, History and English Literature.
- April 2017 (the 28th I think) makes 4 full years since I last chemically straightened my hair.
- I walk because walking is one “sport” which has never failed me.
- My left feet & I seriously admire dancers!
- I’m a recovering comfort eater. My weight went up into the obese category because of it 4 years ago, but having found alternative crutches/outlets for emotional issues plus incorporating more movement into my daily life, I’ve been maintaining at a decent enough BMI of 24.9, smack at the upper end of normal for my height. I’m still heavier than I want to be but it’s not something I’ve actively worked on changing since 2014. I committed that year to dropping 10% of my body weight, did exactly that in 5months and since then, everything I’ve lost/been able to maintain has been from trying not to “indulge” in a self-destructive habit.
- Still training my brain to have photographic memory. If I ever succeed, I’ll let you know.
Sorry! I don’t have 11 at this time.
- Ramblings from young Jamaican ‘hummingbirds’ https://letterstoahummingbird.wordpress.com
- Firsthand travel experiences & advice from Paige Wunder http://fortheloveofwanderlust.com/
- Randy’s take on traveling the American continents https://carouselthree.com
- My favourite British-Caribbean travel blogger http://travelwithzoe.org/
- Jamaican freelancer and lifestyle blogger who always keeps it real http://shandeanwilliams.com/
11 Questions For My Nominees
- Are you where you thought you’d be 10 years ago, and if not, are you pleased with where you are instead?
- Favourite type of weather?
- Dancehall or soca?
- Beach or mountains?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What is your biggest food craving and how often do you indulge in it?
- Favourite cuisine from around the world?
- I just bought you a plane ticket to somwhere you’ve been dying to visit. Where are you going?
- Hug or shake hands?
- If you had to lose one sense, which of the 5 would be easiest to part with?
- Zoo or safari?